pay icon

Can't Pay? Let's Talk.

Des Moines Water Works understands this remains a difficult time for many customers.

The availability of safe water supply is critically important to the public health of our community, especially under unprecedented circumstances such as these. Water supports healthcare professionals and many essential businesses during a pandemic. And proper hand-washing is an important step in curbing community spread of COVID-19.

We want to balance sensitivity to our customers’ situations with sustaining utility operations. Customers who struggle to pay their bill can call DMWW at (515) 283-8700 to discuss payment options.

It is very important for customers who receive a termination notice and are struggling to pay their bill to call DMWW at (515) 283-8700.  DMWW customer service representatives are experienced in working with customers to discuss available options, like payment arrangements or connecting customers with other resources.

Payment arrangements are a collection assistance program that DMWW offers at all times to eligible customers. Customers must honor their commitment to pay or communicate when they are unable to do so in order to remain eligible for this assistance.

Another option is the Low Income Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) available for eligible households. IMPACT Community Action Partnership is administering the program for Polk County residents.

What help is available?
Assistance is for charges, fees and taxes for drinking and waste water services. Benefit payments for qualifying households are made directly to Des Moines Water Works.

How do I know if my household is eligible?
To qualify you must be disconnected, have a disconnect notice, or be at risk of defaulting on a pay arrangement. Assistance level depends on income level, family size and other factors. If you have been approved for heat assistance through LIHEAP, you are already qualified for water assistance. Just schedule an appointment to complete the application.

When can I apply?
The application period is open year-around. LIHWAP will run through Sept. 30, 2023, or until funds are exhausted.

How can I apply?
Contact IMPACT Community Action Partnership at (515) 518-4770 to schedule a phone appointment for water bill assistance.

What documentation is needed?
  1. Valid form of identification (Iowa Drivers' License, Social Security Card, etc.)
  2. A copy of electric/gas bill
  3. Proof of any income within the last 30 days
  4. A disconnect notice for household water bill
More information can be found at:

Customers with delinquent balances should be aware their service could be terminated unless they have called to make arrangements with a customer service representative.
background image