Recommended Wise Water Use Irrigation Schedule
Des Moines Water Works is urging all Central Iowa customers to follow a Wise Water Use Irrigation Schedule of watering on alternate days, and no turf irrigation on Mondays.
All customers, regardless of residential or corporate campuses, are asked to follow the recommended Wise Water Use schedule. Following the irrigation schedule will minimize the possibility of water-use restrictions (more info: Des Moines Water Works' Water Shortage Plan).
Wise Water Usage Irrigation Schedule:
- No irrigating on Mondays
- Even numbered addresses (Ex: 120 Main Street) should water on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- Odd numbered addresses (Ex: 123 Main Street) should water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- No irrigating during the hottest part of the day between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Ensure outdoor garden hoses and spigots do not have leaks, and water is not left running when not in immediate use
- If you decide to irrigate your lawn, ensure your irrigation system is operating efficiently
Landscape irrigation, such as lawn sprinkler systems, makes up a large portion of water consumption. Even the most properly maintained system can be operated unwisely. The Use Water Wisely program is aimed at smart summer irrigation practices. By improving the efficiency of irrigation practices, businesses and homeowners can reduce consumption, save money, reduce the peak load on water facilities and “Think Downstream” to other users in the watershed.