Central Iowa Regional Water
Des Moines Water Works and other metro communities have a rich history of working together to provide water to the entire Des Moines Metro area.
- Since early 2000s, Central Iowa Regional Drinking Water Commission (CIRDWC), a group of public water suppliers throughout Central Iowa formed by 28E Agreement, have come together to improve Central Iowa through coordinated planning and cooperation in an effort to promote the wise use of resources. The Commission’s goal is to provide efficient, effective infrastructure and operations to deliver adequate, safe, and affordable drinking water to the region.
- 2017: FCS Group, a national utility consulting firm, was retained by Des Moines Water Works (DMWW), Urbandale Water Utility and West Des Moines Water Works to gather data, conduct analysis and meet with stakeholders to establish a model for a regional water authority. FCS also completed an in-depth financial analysis of the regional concept compared to the existing water supply model.
- October 2018: The initial FCS Group financial analysis showed significant benefits to regionalizing water production in central Iowa. The formation of a regional water utility was proposed, though there was lack of consensus for the model that was suggested.
- Des Moines Water Works considered alternatives to the initial model with a commitment to three guiding principles: 1) Collaborative decision-making focused on conserving and protecting the natural resource of water is in the best interest of the people of the region; 2) Drinking water should be produced and made available in a manner that is fair and equitable to every person, business, government entity, and organization in the region; 3) Shared risk should result in shared benefits. The wise management and conservation of water is beneficial to the entire region and, over the long-term, will result in lower regional costs.
- September 2019: DMWW submitted an alternative framework in the form of a Term Sheet to regional partners.
- March 2020: Discussions were delayed because of the COVID19 pandemic.
- July 2020: A micro group of DMWW, Urbandale Water Utility and West Des Moines Water Works (the three board-managed utilities) began to meet on a weekly basis to address outstanding questions.
- April 2021: The Micro Group finalized its Conceptual Framework for a regionalization model.
- May 2021: The Conceptual Framework was made public to customers and other potential regional partners.
- November 2021: Micro Group Outcomes Report updated.
- December 2021: Central Iowa Water Works Founding Resolution.
- February 2022: Des Moines Water Works Board of Trustees received and filed a draft 28E/28F agreement.
- March 2023: Des Moines Water Works, Urbandale Water Works, West Des Moines Water Works jointly release second draft 28E/28F agreement.
|06/17/21 11:00 AM, Micro Group Outcomes Report Review||Presentations|
|05/28/21 Micro Group Outcomes Report||More...|
|12/16/20 8:00 AM, Central Iowa Regional Water Update||Presentations Video|
|02/27/20 2:00 PM, Term Sheet Discussion||Agenda More...|
|01/30/20 4:45 PM||Agenda Minutes More...|
|09/26/19 DMWW Discussion Draft Term Sheet||More...|
|11/27/18 4:00 PM, Executive Steering Committee/DMWW Board Joint Meeting||Agenda Minutes More...|
|10/01/18 3:00 PM, Steering Commitee||Agenda Minutes More...|
|08/22/18 7:30 AM, Executive Steering Committee|
|07/30/18 3:00 PM, Steering Committee||Agenda Minutes More...|
|07/25/18 7:30 AM, Executive Steering Committee|
|07/03/18 10:00 AM, Technical/Financial Committee: Asset Inclusion Group||More...|
|06/28/18 1:00 PM, Technical/Financial Committee||Agenda More...|
|06/27/18 4:00 PM, Steering Committee||Agenda Minutes More...|
|06/22/18 10:00 AM, Technical/Financial Committee: Service Area Group||More...|
|06/21/18 10:00 AM, Technical/Financial Committee: Technical Group||More...|
|06/20/18 7:30 AM, Executive Steering Committee|
|06/20/18 10:00 AM, Technical/Financial Committee: Managerial Group||More...|
|06/19/18 10:00 AM, Technical/Financial Committee: Asset Inclusion Group||More...|
|05/31/18 1:00 PM, Technical/Financial Committee||Agenda More...|
|05/23/18 7:30 AM, Executive Steering Committee|
|05/07/18 7:30 AM, Executive Steering Committee||Minutes|
|04/26/18 2:00 PM, Technical/Financial Committee||Agenda More...|
|04/23/18 3:00 PM Workshop||Agenda Minutes More...|
|03/05/18 3:00 PM Workshop - CANCELLED|
|02/08/18 4:00 PM, MOU Workshop 2||Agenda Minutes More...|
|02/07/18 4:00 PM, MOU Workshop 1||Agenda Minutes More...|
|02/01/18 DMWW Comments to Draft Memorandum of Understanding||More...|
|12/15/17 7:30 AM||Agenda Minutes More...|
|12/14/17 4:00 PM, Workshop 8||Agenda Minutes More...|
|12/06/17 7:30 AM||Agenda Minutes More...|
|12/06/17 4:00 PM, Workshop 7||Agenda Minutes More...|
|12/04/17 4:00 PM, Workshop 6||Agenda Minutes More...|
|11/16/17 4:00 PM, Workshop 5||Agenda Minutes More...|
|11/15/17 7:30 AM||Agenda Minutes More...|
|11/14/17 4:00 PM, Workshop 4||Agenda Minutes More...|
|10/26/17 4:00 PM, Workshop 3||Agenda Minutes More...|
|10/25/17 7:30 AM||Agenda Minutes More...|
|10/23/17 4:00 PM, Workshop 2||Agenda Minutes More...|
|10/11/17 7:30 AM||Agenda Minutes More...|
|10/10/17 4:30 PM, Workshop 1||Agenda Minutes More...|
|09/27/17 7:30 AM||Agenda Minutes More...|
|09/13/17 7:30 AM||Agenda Minutes More...|